Cream Cheese Cookies


I haven't made these cookies in years. I got this recipe from my Mother and remember her making these cookies when I was a little girl! This year my daughter and I decided to make these cookies that are very flaky and tender. I will tell you that the pastry style dough is a little hard to work with but the result is a wonderful cookie that melts in your mouth. I am going to work on this recipe and make some changes to see if I can keep the essence of this cookie but make it more easier to make.  For now I will to share with you the original recipe.

1 lb shortening
12 oz cream cheese
2 egg yolks
4 cups flour
milk to seal

Nut Filling or Jam
1/2 stick of butter
1 lb ground walnuts
1 cup sugar

Cream shortening, cream cheese, egg yolks in a large bowl. Blend in flour.  Refrigerate dough over night. Divide dough in fourths, keeping dough that you are not working with refrigerated until you are ready to use. Roll out dough in 10x sugar to 1/8 inch thick on pastry sheet or wax paper.(use a lot of powered sugar so dough does not stick) Cut dough into squares and fill with walnut filling or jam. (This year I used a wonderful Fig & Ginger Jam from Stonewall Kitchen.) Pinch opposite ends of dough together. Seal with milk. Bake 350 F for 10-15 minutes or until cookies are golden but now browned.

Enjoy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rigatoni with Eggplant and Pine Nut Crunch

Mangia, Mangia!

Mandi's Bridal Shower Tea Party