Country Peach Cobbler



Peaches have are one of my favorite fruits. My grandparents always had peach tree in their yard. My grandmother would can a large batch each summer for winter eating. Growing up in Levittown Pennsylvania all the house were landscaped with one apple, one pear and one peach tree. I waited all summer for the peaches to grow and ripen, picking at the just perfect time. Our peach tree produced an abundance of fruit enough to just eat fresh and for my mother peach pies. When I want to make a quick and easy peach dessert I turn to a cobbler. You can make a cobbler with peaches, blueberries, nectarines and more, just use your favorite fruit.  I like this cobbler for the bisque topping as opposed to a sweet crumbly topping. The peaches are the star not the topping.

8 large peaches, sliced into thin slices
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoon cornstarch

For biscuit topping
1 1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl combine sugar and corn start. Add peaches and lemon juice. Mix gently. Turn into nine inch baking dish. I like to use a deep dish pie plate but use can use a square baking dish.

Biscuit topping: In a large bowl combine sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With a pastry blender cut int the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the egg and yogurt working together with the blender or spatula until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop dough by 9 heaping tablespoons evenly over the fruit. Bake 30 minutes or until tester inserted in middle of the topping comes out clean. Serve warm. I like rich vanilla ice cream with my cobbler.

Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rigatoni with Eggplant and Pine Nut Crunch

Mangia, Mangia!

Mandi's Bridal Shower Tea Party