Fantastic Vegan Mushroom and Rice Soup


I've made this soup for many years. A very healthy and delicious soup.  I decided to switch to organic vegetable broth to make it vegan. I added more flavorful spices to enhance the taste. The result another favorite soup to warm the winter nights!

Vegan Mushroom and Rice Soup
2 shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic. crushed
2 Tbs olive oil
8 oz of sliced mushrooms, either white or baby portabella, you choose your favorite
1 1/2  cup Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley
2 32 oz boxes Organic Vegetable broth
2 Turkish bay leaves
1 teaspoon french thyme

Saute shallots and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add slice mushrooms, continue sauteing for an additional 10 minutes. Add broth, bring to a boil. Add rice, bay leaves, thyme and lower heat, cover simmering for about 45 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaves before serving.

That's it done. I freeze this soup and have wonderful homemade soup always ready for those days when you just need a nice hot bowel of soup.(Really nice after hot yoga!)  I  love soup but find that soup in restaurants can have too much salt. So I never order soup out instead I come up with low sodium, flavorful soups that I make at home. Experiment and add different spices for a subtle change.

Enjoy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rigatoni with Eggplant and Pine Nut Crunch

Mangia, Mangia!

Mandi's Bridal Shower Tea Party