Simply Fabulous All American Blueberry Pie

Sorry I have not been posting lately having an absolutely perfect reason - planning my daughter Mandi's wedding.  Now that she said "yes" to the dress I can get back to blogging! More about her dress and the wedding later.

You all know that I love to cook and through parties. This past weekend I had a wonderful birthday barbecue for my twins. I couldn't stop cooking especially baking.  I made this Simply Fabulous All American Blueberry Pie especially for my son Chad.  So good plain or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I just love to make pies, all kinds!


Fabulous All American Blueberry Pie

Crust:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup sweet butter (love my Cabot!)
7 tablespoons cold water

Filling:
6 cups blueberries, rinsed and picked over
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 sugar
4 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon sweet butter, cut into small pieces


Glaze:
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon whipping cream


Crust:
In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. With a pastry blender cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse corn meal.  Sprinkle water over the top and work mixture together with pastry blender or fingers until it comes together to form a ball. Shape dough into ball, wrap in plastic and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.

Filling: Place rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 425 F.  (I like to put a piece of aluminum foil down or a baking pan on the bottom of the oven to catch any drips and keep my oven clean.) Place blueberries in large mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl combine the remaining ingredients except butter.  Add dry ingredients to blueberries and gently toss.
Divide pastry in half.  On a floured surface roll one of the pastry halves into a 12 inch round.  Fit into 10 inch pie plate, letting the pastry hang over edge.  Fill with blueberry mixture. Dot with butter. On a floured surface roll out remaining dough to 12 inch round. Place over pie. Seal edges and crimp to form decorative rim.

Glaze: In a small bowl whisk egg yolk and cream. Brush top of pie with glaze. Cut vents into pie top. You can use mini cookie cutters for a more decorative top.


Bake pie for 10 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Bake pie for 35 or 40 minutes longer or until nicely glazed.  Cool on rack







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rigatoni with Eggplant and Pine Nut Crunch

Mangia, Mangia!

Mandi's Bridal Shower Tea Party