Candied Apple and Cranberry Pie



As I've said over and over I love to bake! For some unknown reason I am pulled to making pies. Everything from making the pie crust, rolling it out to preparing the filling and topping is just so much fun. I once thought that I'd like to get all my collection of pie recipes together into a cookbook. I can visualize turning the pages and finding picture after picture of mouth watering pies! How would I choice which one of my pies to feature on the cover, like a mother I love them all.  I do have to say that fruit pies are my favorite to make and eat.
Apple pies are the harbinger of fall with the fresh harvest apples ripe and juicy just shouting put me in a pie!  With so many apple choices I find it hard to decide which delectable apple variety to use in my pies.  Which apple you use in your pie set the flavor of the whole pie, from sweet, to tart, to crisp to softer, it does make a difference.  For my Candied Apple and Cranberry Pie I chose Gala apples which are sweet but crisp for an over all sweet apple pie especially with the addition of dried cranberries. Top this pie off with creamy vanilla ice cream for a mouthful of heaven!

Candied Apple and Cranberry Pie

Pastry
1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
2-3 tablespoon apple cider or water
1 egg, beaten

Crumb Topping
Mix one cup flour, 1/2 cup firm butter, and 1/2 cup brown packed sugar with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly.

Heat oven to 425 F. Prepare pastry: Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. With pastry blender cut in butter to the consistency of coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle apple cider over top one tablespoon at a time, mix until pastry holds together. Shape pastry into ball.
On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into 11-inch round,  fit into 9-inch pie plate. Turn extra dough at edge into rim and flute or crimp a raised edge.

Filling: Stir together sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt: mix lightly with the apples. Pour into pastry-lined pie plate and sprinkle with Crumb Topping.

Cover the edge with a 2 to 3 inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, remove the foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.  Bake 40-50 minutes. If topping browns too quickly, cover with foil for the last 15 minutes. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rigatoni with Eggplant and Pine Nut Crunch

Mangia, Mangia!

SEARED SCALLOPS