Golden Roasted Turkey Breast perfect for our traditional family Sunday dinner!

Luscious family dinners are a Sunday stable at my house.  The tradition dates back to my grandparents who gathered the whole clan for a big feast on Sunday.  I have so many fond memories of Sundays when we would all sit around the large dinning room table for a meal that my grandmother started to prepare before she left for church on Sunday morning.  My Mother continued the tradition having a beautifully prepared dinner on Sunday that we could all enjoy together. I knew that when I had a family I would continue family Sunday dinners and I have.  I just love having the time to prepare a delicious meal for my family to enjoy.  Roasted turkey breast is an easy favorite that my family enjoys.



1 6 lb turkey breast
1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon pepper
4 thin slices lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3 cups turkey or chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium store bought


I always soak my poultry in salt water for about an hour.  After you soak turkey, rinse and pat dry.  Place in roasting pan. In a small bowl combine butter, garlic, sage rosemary, and pepper.  Mix to form a paste. Gently separate the turkey breast skin from the meat to make a pouch between the skin and meat.  Divide butter mixture in two and stuff in each pouch.  Next place two lemon slices in each pouch.  Rub olive oil on turkey breast. Pour lemon juice over turkey.  Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven 325 F.
Set the meat breast-side up in the pan. Roast for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast registers 160 degrees F. Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and tent loosely with foil for 30 minutes. (The breast temperature will continue to rise to 170 degrees as it rests.)

Pour any pan drippings into a degreasing cup or small bowl.* Reserve 3 tablespoons of the fat discarding the rest and add the juices to the stock. Add the reserved fat to the roasting pan and place on a burner over medium high heat. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in the stock and continue to stir. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Strain the gravy, discarding the vegetables, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Carve the breast and serve with the gravy.

* I really like from William Sonoma the "no spill" gravy separator.  This helpful tool really makes preparing gravy so easy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rigatoni with Eggplant and Pine Nut Crunch

Mangia, Mangia!

Mandi's Bridal Shower Tea Party