Sprited Peach Cobbler


 

Peaches are one of my favorite fruits. When I was a little girl my grandparents had a bountiful garden including fruit trees. My favorite tree was the peach tree with it's limbs hanging heavy with peaches almost dangling to the ground. I waited all summer for the fruit to transform from a little flower to a big juice ripe peach! After we picked the fruit my grandmother would bake pies along with canning peaches for use in the winter. As a treat my grandfather would cut up a peach ripe just to perfection place it in a glace and pour just a little red wine over the peach for me to eat. I've never forgotten the delightful taste of peaches and wine. Inspired by my grandfather I soaked peaches in wine overnight in my recipe for a Peach Cobbler adding to the rich flavor of the dessert.  

Ingredients

        6 large peaches, cut into thin wedges
        1/2 bottle pinot noir
        1/4 cup sugar
        2 teaspoon cornstarch
        1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
        1/2 teaspoon allspice
        1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    For biscuit topping
        1 cup all-purpose flour
        1/2 cup sugar
        1 teaspoon baking powder
        1/2 teaspoon salt
        3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
        1/4 cup boiling water
        1 tablespoon sugar

Preparation

 
Place sliced peaches in bowl and cover with wine. Refrigerate over night.
 

Preheat oven to 425°F.Drain peaches reserving 1/4 cup of wine. Toss peaches with wine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Place in a 2-qt baking dish and bake in middle of oven 10 minutes.

Make topping while peaches bake:Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with pastry blender until mixture  resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined.Remove peaches from oven and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Sprinkle sugar on top. Bake in middle of oven until topping is golden, about 25 minutes. (Topping will spread as it bakes.)  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream

Serves 4.

Enjoy!



gooddinnermrsmellen.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rigatoni with Eggplant and Pine Nut Crunch

Mangia, Mangia!

Mandi's Bridal Shower Tea Party