Lemon Poppy Seed Cake





Baking has been a passion of my since I made my first cake as a young child. I learned from my mother an exceptional baker as well as a cook. With her by my side assisting me I made my first cake - a basic moist white cake with chocolate frosting, better know as the classic birthday cake. From that day on I have continue by love of baking becoming an accomplished baker. And yes sometimes I still make that classic birthday cake, a family favorite.

I created my Lemon Poppy Seed Cake to combine flavors that I love lemons, poppy seeds and white chocolate. The cake has a hint of tang topped with the smooth sweet white chocolate ganache, like yin and yang.    

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

INGREDIENTS
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan 
3 cups all-purpose flour plus more for pan
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 can Solo Poppy Seed Cake and Pastry Filling
4 large eggs separated
1 teaspoon vanilla 
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup slivered almonds


RECIPE PREPARATION
Preheat over to 350F. Butter and flour 12 cup Bundt pan or 10 cup tube pan: set aside. Whisk flour, baking power and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Add poppy filling and beat until blended. Beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.  Stir in dry ingredients in thirds alternating with buttermilk, start and end with dry ingredients. Beat egg whites in separate bowl with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold beaten egg whites into batter. Add vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.

Drizzle white chocolate Ganache over cake.  Sprinkle slivered almonds on top.
White Chocolate Ganache
Place finely chopped chocolate in small heatproof bowl.Set over warm water on low heat (water should not touch bottom of bowl).Stir very frequently until almost melted. Remove from heat and hot water; stir until smooth, pressing out any lumps with back of spoon or a rubber spatula.

In small saucepan over low heat, heat cream just unto simmer stirring frequently. Remove from heat, add about two-thirds of hot cream into melted white chocolate. Stir gently to incorporate, then beat or whisk until smooth.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rigatoni with Eggplant and Pine Nut Crunch

Mangia, Mangia!

Mandi's Bridal Shower Tea Party