Skip to main content

Fresh Summer Peach Pie in Puff Pastry

August is Peach month in New England with the freshest local peaches coming to market. Perfect for peach pie! Growing up I spent long summer days with my grandparents harvesting vegetables and fruits from their extensive garden which covered half an acre of ground. My favorite fruit still today is peaches. At my grandparents I pick a few peaches, then eat a peach, continuing this routine until my stomach was filled with juicy peaches. I loved peaches so much that my mother planted a peach tree at our home just for me. For years I loving cared for my tree, harvesting luscious peaches which my mother made into mouth watering peach pies. I've continued all these years later, taught by my mother, the art of making beautiful pies especially my favorite peach.

Fresh Summer Peach Pie in Puff Pastry






  • 1 package Pepperidge Puff Pastry, thawed according to package instructions
  • 6 cups fresh peach slices (about 10 peeled peaches, sliced)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoon instant tapioca, I used Kraft Minute tapioca
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract 
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice

TOPPING

  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tablespoons fine white sugar

INSTRUCTIONS

Peel and pit the peaches, and slice them about 3/8" thick.Whisk together the sugar and thickener. Combine the peaches with the sugar mixture, vanilla, almond, salt, and lemon juice, mixing thoroughly. Set the filling aside.

Remove thawed Puff Pastry from package. Flour a large work surface. Roll the dough into a 12" circle.

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Fold the rolled-out dough in half, then in half again; this will make it easier to move. Pick the folded dough up, place it in www.gooddinnermrsmellen.coma 9" x 1 1/2" pie pan. and unfold it, centering it in the pan. 

Spoon the filling into the crust.Gently drape the second dough circle up the filling. Fold edges together pinching to seal. Finish the edges. Brush the crust with milk and sprinkle with granulated white sugar, if desired; this will add a touch of sweetness and delightful crunch.

Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet, to catch any spills. Bake it for 35 - 45 minutes or  until the crust is golden brown.

Remove it from the oven, and place it on a rack to cool overnight. If you don't let it rest long enough, the filling will be too soft. Store, well-wrapped, in the fridge for 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.


Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rigatoni with Eggplant and Pine Nut Crunch

Mangia, Mangia!

Mandi's Bridal Shower Tea Party