Marvelous Menemsha on Martha's Vineyard

My exploration and love affair with Martha's Vineyard only increases each time I return bewitched by this magical island. The first time we visited Menemsha -  the charming fishing village on Martha's Vineyard named after the coastal native american word meaning "still waters" -  I immediately recognized the location as  the shooting background for the fictional "Amity Island" of Steven Spielberg's 1975 film Jaws.  Even before my fist visit to Martha's Vineyard I was enamored with the book and movie Jaws. I remember vividly reading in bed the frightening opening in the book late at night although far from the ocean completely captivated by fear. In a dark movie theater with the perfect John Williams movie score the opening scene did not disappoint as I was totally terrified again! You can imagine how thrilled I was to discover a reoccurring location in the film. I half expected to see Chief Brody walking the village!

Beach goers and tourist shopping populate Basin Road along Menemsha harbor disguising the historic harbor which serves as a point of departure for local fisherman. I love to come here for the some of the freshest fish on the island at Larson and Menemsha Fish Market. At Menemsha Fish Market we can't resist the hot lobs'ter roll;  1/3 pound lobster meat, butter, lemon on a grilled hot dog roll deliciously, fresh, sweet, melt in your mouth  lobster, lick your fingers good.   While waiting for our lobs'ter rolls I pick out lobsters to be steamed which I'll pick up before we leave for grilling at home.


Shopping in the unique boutiques along the harbor is another activity I can't resist when visiting Menemsha. Our family favorite shop is Beetlebung where we love their iconic logo T's and hats. Check out their colorful straw bags,  an island must.  


I adore mermaids, obsessed, I am told. Imagine my joy when I discovered last year at Copper Works of Martha's Vineyard their exquisite handcrafted weathered cooper mermaid wall art only to be quickly disappointed as all the mermaids were sold out. This year I made sure I visited the shop earlier finding one lonely mermaid left which I couldn't resist and is now perfectly at home on my living room wall.

At Menemsha Deli inviting brightly painted outside picnic tables welcome you and inside you'll find owner Cybele offering an assortment of fresh made sandwiches, all delectable creations not to be missed. 
Traveling down Basin Road you'll find more retail shops including Menemsha Blues a relaxed clothing line taking inspiration from the sea surrounding the island with four stores on the island.
Our trip to Menemsha is complete without a visit to Menemsha Beach. The beach is a little rocky with a pleasant, gentle surf as it faces north on the Vineyard Sound, rather than the Atlantic Ocean; the vista  from Menemsha Beach is beautifully breathtaking with sweeping views of Cuttyhunk and the rest of the Elizabeth Islands. On beautiful summer evenings we'll return to this premier spot to relax and enjoy a Martha’s Vineyard sunset.
On our ride home still enchanted, never tiring, we plan our next visit to the quintessential New England fishing village, Menemsha.
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rigatoni with Eggplant and Pine Nut Crunch

Mangia, Mangia!

Mandi's Bridal Shower Tea Party