Good Dinner Mrs. Mellen: Apple Crumb Cake: "Fall and apples what a wonderful combination. This is a great recipe to use the apples from an apple picking excursion. I remember apple p..."
I make this pasta dish from a recipe in the current, March 2011, Bon Appetit issue. Very rich in taste with the addition of heavy cream, but I think not all calories are the same. You feel more satisfied from delicious calories then junk calories. So skip processed and junk food in favor of a wonderful meal. And remember portion control is always an option to cutting calories. www.bonappetit.com Enjoy
I know that I call this Good Dinner Mrs. Mellen and as I’ve been reminded I haven’t shared much dinner. I have been spending most of my time in my gardens, that has been my focus this spring. As much a I love to garden,I do love to cook and entertain. I learned to cook and appreciate good food from my Mother and Grandmother. I have fond memories of growing up sharing wonderful meals with my extended family. My Grandmother made everything from scratch including growing the herbs, garlic and plum tomatoes for her sauce. Yes in my Italian family we call it sauce not gravy.(Gravy is what you made from turkey and beef). My Grandmother made the most wonderful meals without recipes, fancy tools or gadgets, just the best ingredients and some simple kitchen tools. She didn’t even measure her ingredients she just knew how much by sight. Everything that she made was just delicious, even a simple cheese sandwich was heaven to taste. My Mother carried on this tradition of being an exceptional coo...
Now that the leaves are changing and the air is crisp my thoughts and taste turn to wonderful, warming soup. After working outside, getting my garden ready for a long winter nap, I just love to come inside and warm up with this Tortellini and Escarole soup. It's delicious and easy to make. And naturally good. Tortellini and Escarole Soup 3 Tablespoon olive oil 3 clovers garlic crushed 2 shallots, chopped 1 head of escarole, thoroughly washed and cut into bit size pieces 1 box organic low salt chicken broth 1 package cheese tortellini(9 oz) fresh or frozen Parmesan cheese (optional) Cook garlic and shallots in olive oil on low for 5 just until shallots are translucent. Don't brown garlic (it taste bitter if you do). Add escarole, stir, coating escarole with olive and cook for another 5 minutes just until the escarole is wilted. Add chicken broth, tortellini, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over individua...
Comments